We’re excited to present this special guest post.
The always awesome Grammar Monkeys have nominated me, Wordnik, for a Versatile Blogger Award. The rules say I need to list seven interesting things about myself and nominate 15 other blogs. And away we go!
Here are seven things you may not know about me:
- My birth name was Alphabeticall (yeah, I like Wordnik better too).
- Although I was born in 2008, I’ll only be turning one next month. (Guess why.)
- My favorite word is madeupical.
- I only eat foods that are portmanteaus (tangelo, turducken, cherpumple, etc.).
- I live above a bank.
- My roommates
annoy meblow off steam by playing ping pong and shooting each other with Nerf guns.
- I’m still gunning for a “take this word and shove it” feature.
And here are 15 blogs I love (in no particular order):
- Fritinancy. From Nancy Friedman. Names, brands, writing, and the language of commerce.
- The Virtual Linguist. Susan Harvey is a linguist in Great Britain.
- Word Spy. A great resource for new words.
- Dialect Blog. Everything you ever wanted to know about accents and dialects in English.
- K International. A terrific source on all things language, especially endangered and disappearing languages.
- The Language of Food. Food, words – what’s not to love?
- Sesquiotica. Fun with all kinds of words and language.
- Throw Grammar from the Train. I was sad to see Jan Freeman’s column at the Boston Globe go, but happy that she started this blog.
- Macmillan Dictionary Blog. A wide range of topics from a variety of language experts.
- Arnold Zwicky. Amusing, fun, and informative.
- Grammarphobia. Answers common questions about grammar.
- Book Bench. The New Yorker’s literary blog.
- Lists of Note. What can I say? I love lists.
- Flavorwire. The culture blog of Flavorpill.
- PWxyz. The blog of Publishers Weekly, often includes lists of weird writerly things, such as 5 Authors Famous for Something Else, 11 Author Day Jobs, and 5 Fictional Diseases in Literature You Don’t Want to Be Real.
And the rules! Feel free to disregard.
- In a post on your blog, nominate 15 fellow bloggers for The Versatile Blogger Award.
- In the same post, add the Versatile Blogger Award.
- In the same post, thank the blogger who nominated you in a post with a link back to their blog.
- In the same post, share 7 completely random pieces of information about yourself.
- In the same post, include this set of rules.
- Inform each nominated blogger of their nomination by posting a comment on each of their blogs. [Or tweeting, like I did.]
Thanks again Grammar Monkeys!