Wordnik is looking for a highly skilled, entrepreneurial Head of Business Development who is seeking a leadership role within a dynamic, growing organization. As an expert early stage partner in distribution deal creation and management, the Head of Business Development will lead Partnership efforts for Wordnik. With an understanding of content and information management the Head of Business Development will manage relationships with clients and partners including major publishers, content aggregators and distributors, content/text service providers, and post-PC application creators and devices. In addition, the Head of Business Development will represent Wordnik externally at relevant conferences and events.
The successful candidate will have a background in partnership creation, contract negotiations, management, and experience in the platform, web, and hand-held device industry. The ideal candidate will be flexible, creative, self-motivated, trustworthy, authentic, and comfortable working in a flexible and rapidly changing environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Head of Business Development will perform the following and other duties as assigned:
- Lead a regular strategic assessment of existing and potential BD partnership and product opportunities.
- Implement strategic BD partnership opportunities.
- Increase revenue by identifying, negotiating and managing external partnerships with revenue-generating opportunities.
- Introduce new products and distribution partnership opportunities to the market and appropriate companies.
- Support new product development, including product research, marketing, and pricing.
- Promote an organizational culture and structure that fosters cooperation, communication, collaboration, teamwork, and trust.
- Provide leadership, direction, and support for BD organization as it grows.
- Meet and exceed goals and objectives.
- Maintain active relationships within the industry in order to leverage appropriate market influencers and provide guidance on company positioning.
- Provide executive leadership to the organization, giving input on company direction and organizational strategy as appropriate.
Desired Skills & Experience
The successful applicant will have the following minimum qualifications:
- 5-10 years work experience with 2+ years in a management role and 5+ years in the content, platform, or SaaS industries startups.
- Expert and inspired team-management skills, with past experience providing leadership to a dynamic organization.
- A proven track record in Business Development and new partner generation.
- Client-service orientation and superb client management skills.
- Comfort representing the organization with executive-level management at multinational corporations and fast-growing new technology companies
- Comfort with wearing many hats and shifting quickly between various responsibilities.
- Excellent presentation, writing, and communication skills.
- Comfort with regular travel to conferences and client sites.
- Resourceful and inspirational attitude when interacting with both internal and external audiences.
- High level of professional integrity.
- Willingness to be flexible, adaptable, and proactive in a constantly changing industry.
Wordnik’s proprietary language analysis technology combines linguistic and semantic algorithms to provide meaning and content discovery services for content creators, publishers, and aggregators. Wordnik is backed by some of the leading investors in Silicon Valley, including Mohr Davidow Ventures, Floodgate, Baseline, SV Angels, Roger McNamee and over a dozen well-respected angel investors.